Do you find that you are saying, “My bathroom smells musty,” more frequently these days compared to times gone by? You’re not alone! Mold and mildew flourish in warm and humid environments like bathrooms, both of which are traits that are intrinsic to bathrooms. Bathrooms are an ideal environment for the growth of mold and mildew. It’s possible that it’s not just the steam from the shower, but if your nose is telling you that it’s not just an ordinary day in an ordinary bathroom, then it’s probable that it’s not the steam from the shower.
Why does my bathroom smell like it's been in a closet for so long?
The amount of water that is used in a bathroom, particularly hot water, can cause the humidity level in the room to remain relatively constant. This is especially true in warmer climates. Both decongesting the air and keeping the surrounding surroundings dry can be challenging chores. On the other hand, if you smell an odor similar to that of musty old books, then you are most likely dealing with the fungus that is responsible for the growth of mold.
To what extent does mold contribute to the problem?
Sometimes mold can hide in plain sight. It is possible to find it growing inside cabinets as well as behind walls. It is possible for it to take root in the folds of your shower curtain or in the crevices behind your towels, picture frames, or mirrors. It is possible for it to build up on the grout that is between your tiles as well as on the paint, as well as on the interior of your light fixtures and fan, and in the areas that surround your faucets, toilets, and bathtubs.
Not only does it have an odor that is disagreeable, but there is also the possibility that it could be hazardous to your health as well as the health of your family. Mold exposure can result in a wide range of symptoms, some of which are headaches, runny nose, sore sinuses, tiredness, nausea, nosebleeds, and difficulty breathing. These symptoms are not exclusive to one another. In addition, the mold that can be seen is not the only cause for concern; there is also hidden mold. Mold spores have the potential to get unattached and dispersed in the environment when the mold itself is disturbed. When this occurs, it has the potential to make your health problems that are related to mold worse, in addition to spreading to other areas of your home, and it can also cause your home to get contaminated with mold.
What can I do to get rid of the musty smell that has settled into my bathroom?
If there is a musty odor coming from your bathroom, you need to take action. There is almost no possibility that it will improve on its own. In point of fact, the difficulties of the issue are merely going to intensify over time. What different paths are available to you? You might want to give some of these ideas a shot:
- Increase the amount of ventilation that is present in your bathroom. If you have better ventilation in your bathroom, it will be easier to dry out the space after you have used the shower or bath. This will help bring the relative humidity down and prevent mold from growing in the space.
- Be sure to give your bathroom a thorough cleaning on a regular basis in order to keep the surrounding area clean. This will help preserve a pleasant odor while also eradicating the fungus that is the source of mold and making it more difficult for mold to take hold. Mold will be less likely to take hold if this is done.
- Make use of the right products; in the same way that it is vital to completely wash your hands after using the restroom, it is also essential to maintain a clean bathroom by making use of the right cleaning solutions and making sure to keep the bathroom clean.
- Squeegee the walls of the shower – When you are taking a shower, you should squeeze the walls of the shower to remove any excess water and to bring down the level of humidity.
- If you want to avoid the temptation of allowing the bathroom to become stuffy and hot while you are in the shower or the bathtub, you should use the fan. Keep the fan running not just while you are in the shower or tub, but also for a short time afterward to reduce the risk of mold growth.
Spend some time working beside knowledgeable people
If you find that your bathroom has a musty odor, you can take the necessary steps to guarantee that it will continue to be dry in the days and weeks to come. Get in touch with the local Plumbers Jersey City franchise to get the leaking pipes in your home checked out and the ventilation improved. Call (201) 885-7265.